The Blót Festival

The Blót Festival is the way by which we heroes of Solgard offer tribute to the beasts and gods. By our efforts, we earn rewards.

(By the way, in Swedish, “blót” is pronounced as if it rhymed with “boot” or “Groot.” Please feel free to comment on this document with Groot memes to help all the English speakers remember how to say the Festival name.)

How is the Festival organized?

Remember the Boss Arena? That mode is the ancestor of the Festival you’ll see in the next update.

Each Festival has four Phases of one week each. Each Phase has four sections, each with a miniboss and culminating in a World Boss. Phase One is you fighting through the World One minibosses, culminating in the Midgard World Boss, Nidhogg. Phase Two is you going through the World 2 (Jotunheim) minibosses, ending up with Rungnar. Phase Three is Vanaheim, and Phase 4 introduces Helheim enemies.

Once a Phase is unlocked and you’ve beaten the boss of the section, you may play it over and over again to try and improve your high score, as well as access the bonus score modes. Even after a new phase is unlocked, you can go back to any of the old ones. You can’t skip ahead to the later phases, though.

You may join the Festival at any point while it is running, as long as you’re at least level 10.

Note to our newer players: You have to have defeated the boss in the campaign to play against that boss in the Festival. So, for example, if I’ve only defeated the miniboss at 110 in the campaign, then I can fight in the Festival up to the third miniboss in Phase Three -- but go no further until I unlock more minibosses/world bosses in the main campaign. Anyone who has completed all 160 levels in the campaign will have access to every part of the Festival.

As in the Hero Challenge, creatures become exhausted after doing battle on your behalf, and need time to rest up. This timer isn’t connected to other modes, of course, and your creatures can be refreshed with Festival play passes. It is definitely to your advantage to have a broad army of creatures and to make strategic decisions about when to play them. Any damage done counts toward defeating the bosses.

Come back Monday, 7-October, to learn more about scoring, rewards, and more. For that matter, stay tuned all next week as we share more information about what to expect, and how you can prepare to kick some serious ice.

Comments

• Looking forward to it. I miss the Boss arena.
  • How is the Festival scored?

There’s basic progression, and bonus scoring. The basic mode is played against the bosses with an Epic/Rare/Common team. Beat the boss by pecking away at his hit points, you win, yay you. You can repeat this mode, though when you repeat, you’re trying to beat your high score - the boss is already defeated and you won’t lose access to anything even if you don’t do as well in subsequent runs.

As soon as you’ve defeated the boss of each section (see above), you unlock bonus modes (requiring higher rarity teams, and featuring creature type restrictions and boosted creatures). In the bonus mode (and in replays of the basic progression), the bosses don’t have hit points anymore. Instead you’re trying to do raw damage. Again, you can repeat each fight as many times as you want, to try and get a higher score. Only your highest scoring attempt in each mode counts toward your leaderboard total.
    It’s to your advantage to unlock more modes, of course, to really ramp up your overall high score.

High level players do not need to actually play every single fight. We’ve got an auto-win mode if your team strength exceeds a certain pre-defined strength of the fight. You can just tap autowin until the difficulty level matches your power level and the mode needs your personal touch.

What do you get?

Leaderboard glory and leaderboard prize chests. Each day, your current total score is ranked and you get a prize, just as we do with the Hero modes. At the end of each of the first three phases, we will rank how you did cumulatively compared with everyone else, and award you an additional prize on top of your daily reward. At the end of the fourth phase, we rank your final score, and the final prizes are handed out.

Those prizes are largely Blót Crowns, the event’s currency. You get Blót Crowns not just from your leaderboard performance, of course. You also get them from hitting score milestones, and from defeating bosses.

So! Prizes are different amounts of Blót Crowns, with which you buy Festival Chests. This chest contains festival creatures, runins, minerals, and more. You can earn more than one chest per Festival, just note that each one costs more of the Festival currency than the previous chest. Of course, each successive chest is better than the one before, as well. (I know I’m being a little vague, but we’re still running tests on reward specifics, and I expect those to be adjusted as time goes on.)

The creatures you win in the Festival are then boosted in power during the next two Guild Dungeon seasons (sometimes there may be a gap Dungeon season that runs right after the Festival, depending on the calendar, in which nothing is boosted - but you are guaranteed to get two Dungeon seasons worth of boosted creatures).

Come back Tuesday, 8-October, to learn more about power boosting, and how the Festival affects the Dungeon (and how new prizes earned in Hero Challenge can improve your Festival performance). For that matter, stay tuned all week as we share more information about what to expect, details about the Festival creatures, and how you can prepare to kick some serious ice.
  • So where is the festival? I did not see any download and nothing new in the game? 

• Hasn't happened yet, yourdaddy :) I'm explaining how it will work so you can be ready to kick ice on day one.

• Boosted what, now?

This is where it gets fun. We’ve integrated several modes to make it all more interesting. Hero Challenge, Festival, and Guild Dungeons now have an additional strategic element.

It starts in Hero Challenge. (Well, for this first event, it won’t. Keep reading.)
    • FIRST: HC features “Creature A” for one week, and HC rewards feature an increased chance to get the gems of that creature.
    • NEXT: When the Festival begins, Creature A will be boosted (stronger, more damage - specifics vary) in Phase One of the Festival, in all modes, until the Festival ends. It’ll be especially obvious that the creature is boosted in the bonus modes! Creature B will be featured in Hero Challenge, with increased chances to get the gems for it.
    • THEN, WHEN PHASE TWO BEGINS: Creature B will be boosted in Phase Two. Creature C is featured in Hero Challenge.
    See the pattern?

For the upcoming festival, Witherwild will start off by being boosted in the Festival Phase One (since we can’t lead up to it with a Hero Challenge) and Cinder Wyrm will be the featured creature in Hero Challenge. In Festival Phase Two, Cinder Wyrm is boosted in the Festival. Witherwild is still boosted in Phase One. Thunderhoof will be featured in the HC. In Phase Three, Thunderhoof is boosted (Witherwild and Cinderwyrm are still boosted in their respective phases), and Deadknight is featured in HC. Then in Phase 4, no creature is featured, and Deadknight goes on to be boosted in the Festival.

Under normal circumstances where there is a gap between Festivals, we’ll feature a creature in HC during that gap. It will go on to be the boosted creature in the next Festival’s Phase One.

And as I said earlier, the creatures that were in the Festival Chests you buy with Festival currency THEN go on to be boosted in the next two Guild Dungeon seasons. There may be a gap week depending on how the calendar falls - but you will definitely get two Dungeon seasons with your newly boosted friends.

Come back Wednesday, 9-October, to learn about the creatures you’ll be able to win in the Festival Chests. Prepare to kick some serious ice!

• Looking forward to the Festival, when will it be released?
  • cant wait to get it started B), Please bring it on ASAP.
  • Squirrel, can you please clarify regarding whether festival event is individual versus working together in your guild??  Good to see you here Squirrel - gathering new nuts LOL. :)

• Grin.

Let me cut and paste from elsewhere:

The Festival is for everyone, level 10 and up.

The Hero Challenge element _features_ creatures that will be boosted in future phases of the Festival, so if you don't already have maxed out critters, you've got a way to earn them. But if you already have maxed out guys, you could ignore HC entirely.

For this Festival, if you already have a great Cinder Wyrm, Thunderhoof, and Deadknight? You don't need to even look at HC. But, if you want to improve them in order to get maximum boost, then you'll want to spend time on HC during the first week of the Festival, in order to earn more gems for Cinder Wyrm. Then during the second week, you'll do HC to earn Thunderhoof gems. Then the third week, work for Deadknight gems.

Festival reward chests contain runins, minerals, and creature gems from six different creatures. If you are in a guild, then the creatures matter, because those six will be boosted in Dungeon mode after the Festival ends. (I'll be talking about the "six creatures" part later today.) But they won't be required or anything. They just give you a bonus.
  • Okay, besides cores and minerals and whatnot, WHO is in the Festival chest?

Right now, the first Festival will reward you with six creatures: Thor, Valkyrie...and in this Festival, four new creatures:
    DECAPTAIN: Yellow Wight Attacker. Mythical. Zero hold. When combined, Decaptain fixes enemies with his intense but detached stare, dealing damage and stunning them. When attacking, the Decaptain will do damage in the columns next to his own. He will also grow in Strength for each critical hit he makes.

WELL DWELLER: Purple Critter Attacker. Common. Hold 2. When combined the Well Dweller swings his big bog axe in a wide arc in front, dealing damage in an area 3 spaces wide and a varying number of rows deep on the enemy side. He also does this each turn he waits. A big Well Dweller swings 4 spaces wide. The Well Dweller's final attack will deal extra damage.

POTSTOMP: Green Spirit Attacker. Legendary. Hold 1. When the Potstomp is combined, it will belch a stream of fire, setting several spaces in the column in front ablaze. The fire does damage on impact, and additional damage for 2 turns. When attacking, the Potstomp will grow stronger for each fire he runs over. During the hold turn the Potstomp will also grow in Strength for each fire within a number of spaces, while also lowering the enemy fires' intensity.

BONE JUGGLER: Purple Wight Defender. Mythical. Hold 3. When you combine or merge a Bone Juggler, all combined Bone Jugglers shoot a dark beam that does damage in the column ahead. Each unit destroyed also adds to the Bone Juggler's Strength. When attacking, a combined Bone Juggler taunts enemies with a random or targeted attack to attack it instead. If it survives a taunted attack, it gets extra Strength and mirrors the attack back, dealing damage. If it's killed by a taunted attack, it will shoot its dark beam in the column ahead, dealing damage.

That’s it, everybody! That’s everything I can share in advance of the event. It is in testing right now. We would like to kick this off very, very soon (and of course, we are going to kick it off at the same time on Apple and Android - we would rather risk a few bugs than have half our players forced to start late!). We could sure use your good wishes as we finalize all the details. Keep watching our social channels for more information!

• I just got the update and did I read this right, it costs 400 diamonds to join the Blot? 
  • yourdaddy said:
    I just got the update and did I read this right, it costs 400 diamonds to join the Blot? 

What? No. Can you PM me a screenshot of what you're seeing? Because there is zero chance we are charging a Festival entrance fee. This isn't Coachella.
  • But wait, there’s more! Festival Treasure Hunts

There is one additional element to the festival, and it's Special Treasure Hunts. They do not REPLACE the existing treasure hunts, which will continue to run on the existing schedule. This is just a fun opportunity to use your Festival spoils to grab a little extra gold.

Special treasure hunts will start to appear during Phase 3, roughly every other day. What makes them part of the Festival, besides appearing on your Festival dashboard, is that they will require a Festival creature in order to participate. The first one is scheduled to pop up on the 28th (assuming the Festival kicks off this Sunday, mind you), and it will require the new common: The Well Dweller.

The second special hunt that pops up two days later, and will require our old friend the red Valkyrie. Two days later, it's another Well Dweller special. (The harder to get new creatures will come along later.)

A loss in the Festival Treasure Hunt should not count in your regular Treasure Hunt progression. Also, outside the one required creature, the rest of your squad just has to be from the appropriate rarity.

NOW I’m done updating this document. We are on track to kick off the Festival this Sunday, 13-October. Stay tuned in case that changes, but right now, prepare to kick some ice!

• yourdaddy said:
    I just got the update and did I read this right, it costs 400 diamonds to join the Blot? 

What? No. Can you PM me a screenshot of what you're seeing? Because there is zero chance we are charging a Festival entrance fee. This isn't Coachella.
    It could just be my confusion. I have 2 things about the Blot and one says 400 diamonds. Now based upon your response I think it might just be a special offer before the Blot but using it for promotion. 
  • That is what you're seeing, yourdaddy. We have some offers running for people who want to prepare for the event, and we're letting people see the new creatures in their lists.

I was briefly afraid you had opened a space/time portal.
  • That is what you're seeing, yourdaddy. We have some offers running for people who want to prepare for the event, and we're letting people see the new creatures in their lists.

I was briefly afraid you had opened a space/time portal.
    As long as that portal tells me the price of gold over the next 10 years I'd be happy. 
  • Is there a way to stop the constant flashing of the creatures? I find it very annoying. I just hope when the event starts, it goes away.
  • Found a couple of problems with this update:
    1. redeem options have disappeared. I have the daily deals, but buttons for redeem chests is gone. 
    2. trouble collecting chests. I open a chest to collect, but it freezes. I shutdown app and restart to collect chest. So far i have not lost any rewards.

other guild members reporting dame issues
  • Found a couple of problems with this update:
    1. redeem options have disappeared. I have the daily deals, but buttons for redeem chests is gone. 
    2. trouble collecting chests. I open a chest to collect, but it freezes. I shutdown app and restart to collect chest. So far i have not lost any rewards.

other guild members reporting dame issues
    We've had at least one of our members also have the chest issue. I personally have not had any problems.