Crystals

Why do I have to shatter different types of crystals in the dungeon? What does mini portal crystal do?

Comments

• You don’t have to do any crystals. You can just ignore them all and go straight for the boss. However, each crystal provides the boss with a buff (sometimes quite strong) or you with a debuff that usually means it is advantageous to do at least some work on the crystals before you tackle the boss.

There are 5 types of crystal:

Red (strength). Increases the bosses starting strength and the power of his basic attack. Reducing this may improve your survivability and make it more likely you will survive to the end of any boss attack.

Green (extra turns). Or, more correctly, reduced turns. Normally, you have 12 turns per attack on a boss but this crystal reduces that number by 1 for each chunk not destroyed. Fewer turns means you have less opportunity  to damage boss during your attacks.

Purple (absorption). Negates an amount of damage from each hit or DoT. Each chunk reduces the effect of each of your attacks by 1. Particularly harmful for lower damage attacks such as fire or poison.

Yellow (sun boost). This is actually a buff for you, should you decide to tackle it. These bosses have the sun gateways that open (for double damage) and always hit the boss (effectively doing 4x damage). When they are closed, however, they block any attack completely.

Blue (mini portals). This controls the number of adds, their spawn rate and their strength. Naturally, a lot of adds will affect both your chances of survival and your ability to be able to break through and damage the boss. Damage done to adds is not damage done to the boss, so it may well be helpful to thin these out for a number of reasons.

There are many different things to consider when deciding which crystals to attack because you only have 10 turns on them (as against up to 12 on bosses) and there are usually restrictions on the teams you can put up against them. This may well be crippling for some members of your guild, while others may still be able to deliver decent damage to them.

The best way really is to experiment. What works well for one guild, may not be so good for another. What works for one season, may be improved upon the next.

Enjoy this exciting and challenging aspect of the game. A guild strategy, with everyone on board, will help you all thrive. 🤓🥂
  • Thanks Kevin tropman.
  • Could anyone clarify how purple crystal affects the damage received from the sun boost? The absorption  happens before or after multiplying? 
  • edited July 15
    Could anyone clarify how purple crystal affects the damage received from the sun boost? The absorption  happens before or after multiplying? 
    I believe it's after the doubling but I'm not 100% certain on the order of operations on that.  Not hard to test, maybe will try that on the random alt account whenever I get to a boss that has that crystal config.

That said all the top guilds kill Absorption crystals (currently) on bosses that matter it appears, and if you're killing that crystal anyway then your boss hit before then is going to be less statistically anyway... but if you're pushing end of season ranks with the way the table works, give it a shot haha.
  • I discovered this a couple of seasons ago. If you hit an open sun gate, the damage is doubled from that, then the absorption effect is taken off, then that is doubled for the hit on boss.

For example; with 7 absorption, I hit a sun gate for 4 damage. This was doubled (to 8) and directed at the boss. Absorption then came off that (down to 1), which was then doubled for the boss hit, giving 2.
  • edited July 16
    I discovered this a couple of seasons ago. If you hit an open sun gate, the damage is doubled from that, then the absorption effect is taken off, then that is doubled for the hit on boss.

For example; with 7 absorption, I hit a sun gate for 4 damage. This was doubled (to 8) and directed at the boss. Absorption then came off that (down to 1), which was then doubled for the boss hit, giving 2.
    Hah, that is some crazy math right there.  I will go check it for giggles when I get a chance... maybe even on the main since this first season after revamp is a total toss up when it comes to guild rankings anyway.